Clean Energy Could Supply U.S. with 70% of Electricity by 2030, NOAA Director Says
February 20, 2012 By Zachary Shahan
A director of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) was in Vancouver on Friday for the American Association for the Advancement of Science’s annual convention and mentioned in a talk there that clean, renewable energy (not even including hydroelectric) could cheaply supply 48 states of the continental U.S. with 70% of its electricity demand by 2030. The other 30% would be half from fossil fuels and half from nuclear and hydro.
Wow. I mean, we know it’s possible. A piece by Mark Z. Jacobson (professor of civil and environmental engineering at Stanford University and director of the Atmosphere/Energy Program there) and Mark A. Delucchi (a research scientist at the Institute of Transportation Studies at the University of California, Davis) has shown how the world could actually be 100% powered by clean, renewable energy by 2030. But getting more top researchers to show its possibilities in the near future, at a cheap price, is big.
The lead researcher and speaker was Sandy MacDonald, who is director of the earth system research lab at NOAA.
“NOAA embarked on the renewables project three years ago, collating 16 billion pieces of weather data derived from satellite observations and airplane observations and weather station reports,” Scott Simpson of the Vancouver Sun writes.
“Then it designed a program to filter the information to remove unlikely venues for wind or solar power arrays – such as national parks and urban areas – and came up with a map showing robust wind resources in the middle of the continent and decent ones in the northeast Atlantic states, as well as strong solar production areas in the desert southwest.”
But here’s where the NOAA researchers stepped beyond the good to the great, research-wise: they balanced potential power production and electricity demand to determine, how, where, when, and to what extent clean energy could produce the electricity we need. The end result — 70% of electricity demand — is huge (although, not much of a surprise to CleanTechnica readers, I imagine).
Big thanks to Scott Simpson for quickly getting a piece up on this, but I look forward to reading more when NOAA puts out more information on the research.
- NOAA Recruits Lobsters to Study Ocean Circulation
- Oʻahu Could Supply 25% of Its Electricity Demand from Onshore Wind & Solar Energy
- Geothermal Energy to Meet 30% of Kenya’s Electricity Needs by 2030
This is a cross post from CleanTechnica.
CleanTechnica thoroughly covers news related to the clean energy, especially solar and wind energy. In addition to sharing important news, it also provides original pieces reflecting on solutions to important clean energy and environmental topics.
Last Wednesday was a big milestone for people who care about public health and a livable climate. Two utilities announced the planned closure of nine coal plants.Read more ...
Today, in the UK, the world's oldest nuclear power plant shut down.Read more ...
The U.S. led the world in clean energy investment in 2011, but China retained the top spot in the latest Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index from Ernst & Young.Read more ...
- Climate Progress
- Dot Earth
- NY Times Green Blog
- NRDC Action Fund- The Mark Up
- Grist- David Roberts
- The Energy Collective
- Earth & Industry
- Green Tech- Martin LaMonica
- Mother Jones- Kate Sheppard
- The Daily Climate
- NRDC- Switchboard
- Miles Grant
- Climate Compass
- The Oil Drum
- Compete Coalition
- Climate 411
- EPA- Greenversations
- Taking the Initiative
- The Energy Fix
- The Heartland Institute
- The Energy Tribune
- Van Jones
- Aimee Christensen
- Amanda Little
- Mother Nature Network
- Energy Literacy
- The Heritage Foundation- Energy & Envrionment
- Green Chip Stocks
- Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
- Resources for the Future
- Josh Tickell
- Dan Weiss
- United Nations Foundation
- Global Green USA
- The Earth Institute
- The Rocky Mountain Institute Blog
- American Solutions- Energy
- Bipartisan Beat
- Green Business
- Growth Energy
- Earth Policy Institute
- Energy Strategist
- Coal Tattoo